There is no better way to help push DerpyCon to the next level than by joining our staff! We work year-round making this convention a success, from getting our programming schedule ready and acquiring new supplies, to working with local businesses and getting advertising at conventions across the Northeast. As a volunteer organization, we cannot do this with our staff. Whether you have years of con running experience or are brand new to the craft, you’ll find a place with us at DerpyCon!
DerpyCon Staff Fair
June 25th 10am-2pm
Hyatt Regency New Brunswick
New Brunswick, New Jersey
Join us for our first ever staff fair, on Saturday June 25th from 10am-2pm or online on our website to learn more about the convention what it is like staffing, meet our staff, and find what position is best for you. Stay tuned to our Facebook Page to learn more as we approach the Staff Fair.
Join DerpyCon Staff!
Working around the year of DerpyCon can be one of the most rewarding experiences! Our staff plan out all facets of our convention, working before, during, and after con. It may seem like a lot of work, but it is such a rewarding and exciting experience, unlike any other. Check out below for more information on what the staffing requirements are, our staff code of contact, and of course what the awesome perks you receive for staffing are.
- You understand that this is a volunteer role; this is not a paid position.
- Must be 18 years or older by the start date of the convention (certain positions may require staffers to be 21 years or older).
- Must be available to work at least a total of 12 hours for the duration of the convention.
- Must attend at least three (3) conference calls or meetings throughout the year prior to the convention (can attend in-person meetings remotely if not in the area).
- Must adhere to our entire Staff Rules and Staff FAQ.
- Must attend a Staff Orientation during the convention.
- If unable to attend the convention, you must notify your Department Head (or Staff Services) prior to the convention. Failure to do so may result in future staff applications being rejected.
- If the position requires a certification, you must present proof of this certification to your Department Head prior to staffing within said department. Failure to do so will result in not being permitted to staff in that department.
Code of Conduct:
- All Staff must follow all venue and convention rules. This includes following the Chain of Command.
- Staff must show up to their shifts on time and work the entirety of their shifts.
- By signing up to staff DerpyCon, Staffers are representing DerpyCon and should act appropriately. Any misconduct that violates venue, staff, or attendee rules/regulations may result in loss of incentives, staffing privileges, and possible removal from the venue. In addition, Staff may not return as Staff the following year. Decisions regarding violations and disciplinary actions will be determined by a Staffer’s Department Head or Command Staff, the Public Safety Chiefs, and the Chief of Staff.
- Any arguments or disputes should be moved ot a closed room with both the appropriate Department Head or Public Safety Chief, and an approved moderator (Chief of Staff or a Command Staffer).
- All Staff should maintain a positive and professional attitude, both around attendees and more importantly, convention guests. Should a Staffer need to vent/fan over a guest/become angry/express any big or negative emotion, Staffers should go to the Staff Lounge and/or a personal hotel room.
- Staff should not leave their posts during their shift. If an emergency or outstanding situation arises, Staff must inform their Department Head or Command Staff and have their leave approved.
Social Media/Publicity Conduct:
- Anything that DerpyCon does not have the rights to play (e.g. anime, TV Shows, music, etc.) CANNOT be played in the convention space.
- Do NOT post private staff information or criticisms on the DerpyCon official social media outlets. Such information should be confined to e-mails, in person discussions, and to the DerPortal.
- Do NOT use personal emails, social media, or text messages to discuss DerpyCon business. Please only use official DerpyCon emails, approved e-mail addresses, and/or the DerPortal.
- All Staff are encouraged to join the Street Team and assist with in-person and digital advertising.
Hotel & Venue Conduct:
- All Staff must assist with Load In/Load Out, as per the Storage Master’s directions.
- All Staff must fill out the Staff Hotel Form if they wish to stay in the Staff Hotel Room Block, All Staff must complete any payments prior to the event (if applicable). Failure to do so will result in loss of space in the Staff Hotel Room Block.
- All Staff must agree and follow all Hotel Room & Staff Hotel policies.
- Staff need to inform their Department Head or Command Staff if they are going off-site.
- Staff have up to one (1) hour of off-site time for every six (6) hours worked.
DerpyCon may make modifications to this agreement at anytime. You will be notified of any modifications or additions to the above.
Our General Staff Perks System is made up of rewards that our Staff can earn for the hours worked for the convention. The Perks System is a multiple choice system, which allows our Staff to cutomize the perks that work best for them. For example, a Staff member who chooses to eat off-site might want to cash in their 4 hour perk for a bag of snacks for their shift, rather than a full meals.
Here are the rewards that can be earned by working the following hours:
- 4 Hours: small goodie bag of snacks/drinks OR one DerpyCon Staff Lounge meal voucher
- 8 Hours: $5 voucher for the DerpyCon merch table OR $5 towards another Staff Perk
- 12 Hours: full reimbursement of convention badge
- 16 Hours: free DerpyCon Staff t-shirt
- 20 Hours: invitation to staff-only party; AND larger bag of snacks/drinks OR $10 towards another Staff Perk
- 24 Hours: reimbursement of hotel room up to $25/night for up to 2 room nights
- In Addition: 24 Hours of Pre-Con Work rewards an additional $25 per additional night for up to 2 room nights.
Not sure if the perks apply to you or have any questions regarding our General Staff Perks System? Contact our Personnel Department via our Help Desk.
As said, DerpyCon has staffing positions for a variety of departments and areas of the convention. You can find below information regarding our what departments we have and where we are seeking staff.
Our Command Staff are our major leadership of the convention. They oversee all the departments and help guide the vision and milestones of the convention.
- Convention Chairperson – filled
- Chief of Staff – filled
- Head of Con Ops – filled
- Head of Personnel – accepting applications
- Head of Programming – filled
- Head of Publicity – filled
Our Convention Operations Department much of the behind the scenes actions of the con. This includes managing equipment logistics, running registration, and keeping the convention safe.
- Head of Attendee Services – filled
- Attendee Services (Info Desk) Staff – accepting applications
- Head of Mobile Tech – filled
- Mobile Tech Staff – accepting applications
- Head of Network Ops – filled
- Network Ops Staff – accepting applications
- Head of Registration – filled
- General Registration Staff – accepting applications
- Public Safety Chief – filled
- Public Safety Officers – accepting applications
- Head of Logistics – accepting applications
- Logistics Team – accepting applications
Our Personnel Department deals directly with our convention staff and volunteers, including running our staff suite, managing volunteers, and dealing with staff-related issues. This department is great for people who like to manage and are really good with dealing with others.
- Head of Staff Lounge – filled
- Staff Lounge Staff – accepting applications
- Head of Staff Services – accepting applications
- Head of Volunteers – accepting applications
- Innkeeper – accepting applications
Our Programming Department handles all aspects of our convention schedule and our guests. This includes setting our panels schedule, running our cosplay events, and overseeing all of our different event rooms. This department is great for people who love to be at the heart of the action and love working on events during the con.
- Head of Children’s Programming – accepting applications
- Children’s Programming Staff – accepting applications
- Head of Cosplay – filled
- Cosplay Staff – filled
- Head of Guest Lounge – filled
- Guest Lounge Staff – filled
- Head of Guest Services – filled
- Guest Driver – filled
- Guest Handler – accepting applications
- Karaoke Liaison – filled
- Head of Panels – filled
- Panels Staff – accepting applications
- Head of Scheduling – accepting applications
- Head of Video Gaming – accepting applications
- Video Gaming Staff – accepting applications
- Head of Viewings – accepting applications
- Viewings Staff – accepting applications
- Main Events Manager – filled
Our Publicity Department oversees our public relations aspects of the convention, both prior to, during, and after con. This includes working with local media, setting up business relationships, managing our Exhibitors Hall, and sustaining our online brand.
- Head of Archiving – accepting applications
- Archiving Staff – accepting applications
- Head of Exhibitors – accepting applications
- Artists Alley Coordinator – accepting applications
- Vendors Coordinator – accepting applications
- General Exhibitors Staff – accepting applications
- Head of Press – filled
- Head of Publications – accepting applications
- Head of Signage – filled
- Head of Social Media – accepting applications
- Social Media Staff – accepting applications
- Head of Sponsorship – accepting applications
- Industry Coordinator – accepting applications
- Outreach Coordinator – accepting applications
- Head of Web – accepting applications
- Live Stream Control Room Operator – accepting applications
- Live Stream Twitch Moderator – accepting applications